Let's center.
It surprises me, how many people don't like Christmas...more love it, but how can you dislike Christmas?! I guess I'm just a bit spoiled. With a holiday being centered on the spending of money (of which most do not have in abundance), the spending of time with family (of which many do not get along with or even have, for one reason or another) and on the spending of time laboring vigorously (of which most do enough on regular days), it's really no wonder. I would likely not enjoy Christmas either if I were centered on those things...and it's EASY to get caught up in those things.
Jesus.
If we worship anything other than Him, we are headed for heartache. How many times do we hear "Christmas is all about being with family and friends" or "It's all about giving". I love those things too, but that is not what is at the heart of Christmas. Those things can easily disappoint...but Jesus never disappoints. For guaranteed, peace, joy, love and every other good thing under the sun, make your relationship with Him the center of this holiday. If we have nothing else to get excited about or to give, we have the hope of His grace and the present reality of His companionship. What more could truly satisfy? Oh, I love a few good shortbread cookies and some hooch (thanks Mom)...and they do stick with me for longer than I prefer, but they must be secondary...or thirdary (new word). To avoid the humbug virus this season, get inoculated!! Center on Him. Take a very quiet moment (or two) to be all alone...with the tree lights... and a festive drink... maybe a little carol playing...and have a birthday toast...just you and Him. That is what it is all about.

"Be still and know that I am God." -Jesus


Comments