The Truth About Sunsets


Copernicus. I think his discovery is one of the most important ones of all time. Before him, everyone believed that the sun revolved around the earth. With the help of Galileo's telescope, he brought humanity the shocking, humbling truth into the light. Is it really any surprise that we thought we were the center of the universe?? In fact, I think most of us still do. It amazes me how schools, the media, parents and even churches tote the notion that the most important thing in life is that YOU are happy. That YOU are at peace with yourself and that YOUR needs are being met.

Hold the bus for a minute...I thought it was better to give than to receive, that the needs of others was supposed to be more important than mine and that true courage and heroism was shown when someone sacrificed for another. "Greater love hath no man than this...that he do what is best for him, no matter what the cost to others?" I don't think it goes that way. I'm sure I learned about loving others most in the first 5 years of my life. Thanks Mom and Dad. Not that I PRACTICE it every day...but at least I know it and believe it. If I feel like fish for supper, then fish it is, our home decor is not based on the team colors of the Dallas Cowboys and Newsboys tend to get more air time in the van than does Trip Lee...but everything needs balance right?


Trying to find the balance between giving people what they WANT and giving people what we think is BEST for them, is a tight rope walk. I am so saddened by the youth culture right now. It is frightening how even those who claim to know and follow Jesus, follow their own heart's desires rather than His teachings...and adults pat them on the back with the old "You have to do what is best for you" lie. I'm pretty sure that if I took a poll, most people would SAY that they believe and teach their kids to put the needs of others before themself, but I really don't SEE it happening much these days. We are cultivating a society of blood suckers, with little or none of Jesus character. I know there are exceptions to this. There are some kids out there who have been nurtured and trained to be a blessing to the world and they will shine in their time. I hope there are enough of them to lead our families and country someday.

The latest "Joe" commercial (Superstore clothing brand) says it pretty clearly. It shows kids of all ages wearing really cool clothes, dancing around to music. The music says something about building a wall around your heart and going and doing whatever you want. This precious little frizzy haired kids, of about 6 or 7, is wearing a T shirt that says "I Love Me" on it. I don't understand why people can't see it. Self love will kill a person quicker than arsenic. In fact, God says that we already love ourselves, the key is to learn to love others more, and Him first:

"But no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes it and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church." Ephesians 5:29

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself."
Luke 10:27

The "as yourself" part means "as you love yourself"...implying that you already love YOU.

I think I might have to spit the next time I hear someone say "Well, as long as they are happy" after someone stomps on another's heart in order to grab their dream. Hey, I'm all for happy, but certainly not at the cost of joy...the joy that we have in trusting Jesus and loving in His giving, selfless, others oriented kind of way.

The next time you look up into the starry sky, remember Copernicus. The sun isn't actually going down...we are moving away from it. It stays securely in place while we on Earth revolve around it. Eventually, we should realize who is at the center of the universe, our orientation is changed and then we can enjoy the sunbeams we so desperately chase.





Comments