"Quest for the Buckwheat Pillow"





Every morning, I get up before daylight. I'm the only one awake. I could lay there longer, my body would not object, but my mind is relentless. As soon as I am almost conscious, my cerebellum, cerebrum and every other cognitive part are in cahoots to keep me from more slumber. So...I get up. I search for my slippers in the dark. Every morning. I try to remember to strategically place them beside the bed the night before, but alas, I never remember. One time I did, and my stealthy exit was successful, but only once. It's a mental block. I really don't want to wake up my husband. There is no need for him to be up at 5:00ish am, and I need the time all alone in the morning.

The cat, who is generally antisocial and somewhat narcissistic, decides to be affectionate at this time, aiming at my stumbling feet. I run the short cat gauntlet to the stove light and coffee pot without tripping. My body is not too far behind my mind in the morning, but has to run to catch up. Lately, it's Christmas gifts on my mind. As soon as the stage curtain of my mind opens, I am calculating the Christmas budget, reminding myself of a forgotten gift recipient or deciding which candy cane flavor to give the kids this year. Eventually, after two or three sips of beloved Folgers, I raise my mug toasting the morning and welcoming Jesus to my day. I spend some time talking to Him, reading His lovely words to me and preparing my heart for whatever is to come.

Once I do this, my mind calms a bit and I gain some control over the thoughts. The "to do" list is written, the email is answered (blogs are written) and the daylight begins to appear, a necessary reminder that the other people in the house need to be revived. The dog goes out, I make my rounds with the torturous "rise and shine" song and flex my arm muscles dragging 5 people into the morning. My spirits are up, my energy is at its peak and much is accomplished...until about 1:oo pm.

If an afternoon siesta is avoided and my exercise routine is honored, production continues. Energy is definitely lost and my thoughts sort of coast instead of accelerate. Activities of a more enjoyable flavor happen in the afternoon, so as not to provoke my mental stability. Cooking, music, going outside even housework (yes, I like housework) keep my happy boat afloat until evening.

Early evening is when I have to slap in the Anthony Robbins tape (really...just kidding) for motivation not to go to bed at 6:oo pm. Hockey games and church meetings are timely scheduled here, redeeming the last third of the day. By about 9:00 pm, the curtain of my mind is closing, my body is happy to be still, but my hands have not yet settled. Thank goodness for knitting, or I would be 200lbs from the popcorn bowl to mouth hobby. About the only thing passing through my mind at this time is "knit one, purl one", "Are the little ones asleep yet?" or some kind of static like sound with muffles and snippets of the days conversations. The slightest seed of worrisome situations can sprout into mental panic at this fragile time, so light entertainment is well justified in my production oriented mind.

The day is done. I revel in joy of what has been accomplished, thank God for another splash of His grace and mercy, kiss the faces of the most treasured people in my world and rest my head on my buckwheat pillow (I mention this because buckwheat pillows are so awesome) for precious sleep.

I'm not sure that what goes on in my mind during sleep would be bloggable. Interesting, but subject to much psychological scrutiny and that is just not necessary...nor productive...it's early morning and I have things to do.



Comments