My Spring Blooms


This is one of the most exciting times of my year. Even more than Christmas, I dare say. We are emerging from our hibernation dens, breathing in the fresh Spring air. Newness of life is highlighted in Easter and the chirping morning birds. The end of a full school year is in sight. Our yearly homeschool conference is marked in bright red on my calendar. I have to rein myself in to prevent jumping into the next year before this one is completed. I am not the best finisher in the world, but understand that it is imperative to finish well. My mind is shifting from the practical to the philosophical.

The new curriculum catalogs draw me away from the test marking like a temptress. My old, tattered schedule hangs by a thread, while I begin drafting a new and better one. Change, improvement and progress are in the air. It calls for a new outfit. Why it calls for a new outfit, I have no logical explanation for...it just does...maybe it's a woman thing.

Evaluation of books and methods are done while I add one more new challenge to my job. I love this job. My kids make me love this job. They are not empty buckets waiting for me to robotically fill them. They are heavenly bodies filled with unlit fires, waiting to be kindled. How warm is the glow I get to experience when one is lit and their little eyes sparkle with wonder and excitement. My budding scientist of 9 years is captivated by the dancing raisins of a little experiment we did this week. All he can think about is CO2 and raisins...a mind designed by God. Both of my youngest are constantly (finally) unlocking the secrets of road signs and book covers as they realize their ability to read. My little princess cuddles books and shows early signs of fashion design...bright red cowgirl boots with sparkly short skirts are worn to homeschool...while the boys, in their pj pants, stare at her analytically.

My second oldest is basking in his artistic success. He finally painted the flowers he has made several attempts to created on a tired canvas...which now proudly hangs in our "gallery" stairway wall. He has also finally remembered the formulas for the area and circumference of a circle...mental block removed...tired muscles. Also very proud of his understanding of what "per second, per second" means (thank you Gramps). My oldest has finally purchased a professional drum set...graduated from a starter kit! Serious drumming is now underway. He delights in baffling me with his mathematical skill, drum lingo and precision in dissecting an earthworm. He has also left Calvin & Hobbs and Garfield in the bathroom in exchange for... less furry characters to study. Another fire lit and burning...my job is done here...well not exactly...I must hang around to fan the flame lest it begin to smolder from the suffocation of media and laziness. What a privilege to watch these flowers blossom.

Although we are not immune to the typical relationship struggles and moral failures, the fact that all four of the kids want to pile on our bed at the end of the day, to cuddle and talk about pretty much anything from NHL scores to who God is, makes me very glad. "The saints are just the sinners that fall down...and get up." I still see a DESIRE for Christ likeness in all of them...praise God. He draws and keeps us.

I guess this is my version of a report card. I've never been very good at assigning a grade to educational achievements. I think a thermometer might be a better measure than a letter grade. The higher the temperature of those little fires, the better. Passion for learning and determination to conquer tough obstacles is the name of this game. I can see the fires that need a little billowing and praise the ones that have been well fed...including my own.

School year end. Spring...Assessment, evaluation and planning. New life. Flowers blossom. Change and progress...and most importantly... A NEW OUTFIT...I'm going shopping...

Comments