Teenage Toddlers


When the kids were babies, life was full of diapers, sleep schedules, Veggietales reruns and personal neglect...a bubble bath, one uninterrupted meal and a nap were the content of my daydreams. Those days are gone and are like a dream I once had. Not necessarily a nightmare, but a good dream that leaves you weary when you wake. My 4 babies were extremely hard on my body (the first one weighing in at 10lbs, 4oz) from pregnancy to about age 6 when I stopped limping around behind them cleaning up after, protecting untouchables and chasing them away from the road. Ya...weary, but thrilled. Watching video of those adorable tyrants brings back the thrill without the weariness...MAKE SURE YOU TAKE LOTS OF VIDEO OF YOUR BABIES!!!! There is no better show than these. Even the kids LOVE watching themselves as toddlers, with great laughter. I wish I could have just one day back with each of them.

The middle years, from about 6 to 11 have to be my favorite. They can tie their own shoes, play outside with little supervision, sleep like logs and cuddle with the sweet smell of childhood fresh on their cheeks. They still hold the juvenile innocence and tenderness, yet blessed independence allows Mom a bit of a breather. Their thoughts are absolutely entertaining, their laughter pure (mostly...with the exception of bum joke fixations) and their loyalty is still focused toward Mom and Dad. I would like it if my youngest two, in this age group, could be stalled from aging. May they linger long in this period of time, smothering me with hugs, questions and naive giggles.

By the time 12 or 13 arrives, Mom is unprepared for the tearing of the apron. She knows it is coming, but really doesn't understand what it means, feels like nor how to handle it...exactly. All of a sudden, this thinking for themselves thing gets stronger. Their weird hobbies grow larger. Their fashion choices get funky. Their physical and spiritual appetites grow...and grow. They are becoming who God intended for them to be and I have to let go and allow that to happen...as if I could stop it...or even want to. Those maternal instincts are made strong for a reason and need to be kept on check, so my faith can grow.

These summer days seem to be overrun with keeping the teenagers busy. Youngsters just grab their toys, run out into the yard and play contentedly until snack time. Teenagers want more. More friends, more money, more food, more going places, more...everything. I think I have hit another exhausting phase of raising kids. Again, I have to follow behind them, cleaning up messes, protecting untouchables and chasing them away from the road. How did we end up in THAT place again??! I truly want to make these years wonderful for them, like my parents did for me. I pray that they can have lots of good, clean and safe fun, but at the same time, prepare them for real life. When they leave home, life might not be as cushy as it is at home. If all they do now is play, then life may rudely wake them with ice cold water in their face.

I'm so glad that they have summer jobs to do, and like it, most of the time. This takes care of 3 things...they get to exert overflowing energy, they have money and they learn how to be good, hard workers. I don't mind running them here and there to mow lawns, and pick berries...that's part of my job. It's the wandering of their hearts that make me a little nervous. What is it that they love the most? What are they following? What will they end up giving their allegiance to? Their hormone bathed brains are being pulled in a Kingdom tug of war. Their sweet hearts are pulsing with desires, both good and bad. Mom can't control it nor change it. She just watches it, prays for it and points to Jesus...when they happen to catch a glimpse of me during a lull in their spinning.

The question is, "Will you love Me more than these?". Jesus asked this of Peter, speaking of the fish he was holding, symbolically his life's work. He knew Peter loved him, it was just a matter of total devotion to Him...and Peter was a big boy...already through the teenager stage. We all have things that challenge our loyalty to Jesus and we need to make sure we are loving Him more than these.

I was all about me when I was a teenager, as most of us are. I cared most about what I looked like and my friends. Typical shallow thinking. However, I had a very deep love and respect for my Mom and Dad. I honestly don't remember ever lying to them nor brushing off any advise they gave. Their opinions and lifestyle were of utmost importance to me. When they appeared before my friends, I was proud of them. I showed them off. They might not have been at the center of my daily activities, but they were always at the center of my thoughts, anchoring me as I waded in the shallows. They represented Christ for me and eventually, when I went out on my own, the critical transfer was completed. I saw Jesus as that anchor and took their lifelong advise to continue following Him.

My prayer is that my kids will have that same love and respect for my husband and me and that we will accurately represent Christ for them, so that they will someday put everything in His hands. That I won't lose my head when they look like they may be drowning in worldliness and idolatry. Patience, faith, and many walks in the woods are necessary for me to keep it together...soy protein is a nice little help too for those really bad days :)

I'm back to the toddler stage for awhile, so it appears. Fortunately, they have a few years of training under their belts this time and they really are great kids...I'm very proud of them. Maybe there will be fewer time outs, temper tantrums in the grocery isle and sleepless nights...I'll do my best to control myself, but I can't promise anything :) Thank goodness for soothers.


Comments