Empty Calories


When I lay my head down on my buckwheat pillow every night, I ponder the day...briefly...because I fall asleep very fast. Did I do things that meant something? Did I redeem the time, or just use it for my own pleasure? I'm a big fan of pleasure, but I also have a strong aversion to empty calories. Those things that I do that feel good, but lack sustenance...hold nothing of eternal value. Sleep is much sweeter when I know that I have been used of God for some of His purposes, whether great or small, as long as He has had His way with me.

It doesn't take long to notice people all around me engaging in seemingly shallow activities. I realize that I can't always see what is going on behind the scenes in their lives, but the glimpses can often be very telling. People looking happy and fulfilled, yet having no lasting reward. I just WONDER. I don't really KNOW. I hope for them, pray for them and spur myself on to greater fulfillment. The older I get, the more disappointing physical or worldly pleasures have become. Ice cream just doesn't taste as good as it used to. Christmas isn't as magical as it used to be. Dates with my husband aren't as relaxing as I used to find them. Kind of depressing, but a truth that can lead me to greater satisfaction.

Once this sad epiphany settled in, I set my mind to finding the meat and potatoes of life. I know it's Jesus, but what form of Him? What practical useage of my relationship with Him? The words don't reveal the "how to" of Him being the answer to finding joy. Jesus needs to be real and vibrant in our lives in order to really change and satisfy us. Trying to take the spiritual and turn it into the physical is a process. It's a learning, timely revelation orchestrated by Jesus himself. Letting go of the obvious pleasures of life to engage in the hidden treasures at His right hand, takes a little convincing. It's like taking candy from a baby and trying to interest him in a broccoli tree. Eventually though, you get tired of all the failed attempts at fulfillment and just give in. Let go of the lie and hand over your plate to Him. Eating from the hand of God can be surprisingly tasty. Retreating from life's rat race and indulging in His character is like a great big glass of fresh well water for a thirsty soul.

His simplicity...freeing for my mind.
His faithfulness...soothing for my worried insides.
His creativity...inspirational for my desires.
His discipline...comforting for my imperfections.
His humor...just makes me see that He is real.
His patience...relieves my urgency.
His grace...always gives me something to look forward to.

I could go on and on, but these kinds of things are deep, healthy, lasting and delicious. I really like this menu much better than the one I used to sample. I will be a regular at His table and there is much more room for anyone to join us. Pull up a chair today and dig in.

Q. What is the chief end of man?

A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and to ENJOY him forever
(boldness added)

-The Westminster Shorter Catechism

Comments

SaintJohnner said…
I feel the exact same way Holly. I feel like at times when I am living for myself and my pleasure of doing what ever I want gets in the way of doing what God wants me to do. This spoke to me your blog here, it hits home for me. This is something I needed to hear although this is something I already knew deep inside my heart that I have to change the way I utilize my spare time through out the day.