Wasn't That a Party??


I had an absolutely blessed time Monday night at a homeschool support group meeting. I was asked to come and share some tips or thoughts that I have treasured over the years that we've been schooling at home. What a time I had preparing what to say! I had SO many thoughts that it was very difficult to narrow it down. I love talking homeschooling...well, to be honest I just plain love to talk. I have to be careful not to talk too much. I have to be careful not to talk too much about myself...I think we all do really...it's natural. So, I finally decided to share some of the great ideas that are brought forth from one of my favorite movies of all time..."The Miracle Worker".

Any educator must watch this movie...at least once a year. Anne Bancroft plays Ann Sullivan and Patty Duke plays Helen Keller. The determination, disciplined thinking, submission to things beyond her control and accurate understanding of learning that this teacher had is inspiring. It kicks me in the rear and makes me cry with hope at the same time. When I'm having a "bad day" at home, I watch the "breakfast" scene. When I think my child is never going to get it, I watch the "water" scene. I reminds me that every student has blind and deaf spots that we must find the keys to...and if Miss Sullivan could do it, so can I!

The "talk" became more of a conversation, which is really what I was going for, and it reminded me just how important it is to open up about your hurdles and offer encouragement to those just beginning or struggling with homeschooling. It was also very exciting to see so many new families embarking on their own educational journey, in their own unique way...but yet together. I could have yakked on all night, but restrained myself like a good little girl and let the ladies dive into the fruit trays, fudge and Sweetened Condensed Milk based squares...I adore Sweetened Condensed Milk...give me a can of it and a spoon and I'm happy. Mix graham crumbs and chocolate in with it and I'm dangerously delirious.

I didn't get home till after midnight. I get blurry eyed and nauseous after midnight, but it was well worth it. I think I left my glass Dr.Sholls boot in someone's driveway. Ya, I was a walking zombie the next day, till I had a cat nap, but it's like a healthy hangover. The inspiration and fellowship of times like that are very special...not like a self centered, uncontrolled flesh-fest with a headache and toilet hugging experience the next day. I didn't ingest enough Sweetened Condensed Milk to impair my driving, just enough to put a smile on my face. There was great conversation, food, coffee and amazing ambiance of an open brick fireplace and laughter. The only think missing was music and dancing...not exactly what comes to mind when picturing a homeschool moms's meeting, so that's ok. A truly Good time.

I can't think of another thing I would rather do on a daily basis than homeschool my kids. I am so grateful for the freedom to do so and the resources available to me to do it well. I have heard a few "I love homeschooling" comments from my kids lately too...usually when their work is done by 3:00 pm and they are heading to the local hockey rink on a sunny afternoon. My job is a blessing...it doesn't pay very well, but it's a deal God makes with us...He says that if I train up my children in the way that they should go, that He would ensure to keep them from departing from it...when they are old. I like it. I'll do my best and He'll do everything else, regardless of my failures. Priceless.

If you think you are having a difficult homeschool day...check out the blog post below...
...and if you think your child will "never get it", watch the post below THAT...

Comments