Who Says??


Boy, you can really get overwhelmed with thoughts and opinions when surfing the net. With the plethora of news options, blogs, rants, statuses, tweets, etc. etc...it's a constant stream of "blah,blah,blah". It's great when people are expressing excitement over a child's birth, or a really cool Christmas present, but it hurts the head when it's about controversial issues. For every confidently stated opinion there is another equal and opposite opinion...then another...then another...it escalates, builds supporters, and usually ends up as just talk. Often insulting, pointless talk. In any case it hurts my head. I'm just not the type to enjoy heated debate.

I will listen to, read or watch certain debates or news clips, selectively, but I have decided to limit my "opinion consumption". Behind every debated issue hides the important question..."Who says?". After giving ear for 25 seconds or so, I try to figure out what worldview or authority someone is coming from. Spying out the agenda of the speaker is important. If the authority behind the opinion is the staus quo, popular media, or even non-existent, then I generally shut it off and move on. Why clutter my little, sensitive brain with negative energy...it has enough energy on its own to manage...I don't need more. Some people can handle it, even enjoy it, but I don't and I need to guard against getting sucked into it.

When I find myself feeling irritated or starting those little "speeches", I click over to Pinterest. I glance at some of my beautiful pins, add to my virtual wardrobe or redecorate my dream home with a simple click of the mouse. I remind myself to think on whatever is lovely, true and praiseworthy. I wish I weren't so passionate and extreme in my thinking, but there it is. I appreciate the beautiful things of life and need to focus on them rather than the word wars.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people have never asks themselves why they believe what they believe. The opinion is formed on feelings and experience rather than any sort of truth or authority at all. While I agree that we should all have the freedom to choose our opinions, wouldn't it be a little more effectual to ground it in something solid? If you want others to buy your sale, you've got to give them something to ground it in. Others do not have your experiences and feelings. Why do people expect others to listen and learn on that premise? It's like the playground kids fighting, dictating the rules of play and the opposing kids come back with "Oh ya, well who says??" or "You're not the boss of me!!". They are right! We each choose, consciously and not, who or what is our authority. It may be God, a philosophy, John Lennon or even a slogan...most often though, it's the person himself.

Usually, people are there own authority, but fail to see that that system really won't work on the grand scale. If everyone makes their own thinking the basis for truth, then we are in trouble. We will continue to be a world of little gods, battling for rulership. That is why democracy is necessary. The most popular opinion gets to be the boss, and if you don't like it then rant and fight...or move. True democracy, I mean, not the pseudo kind that throws the people a bone, pats them on the head, repeats the rederick, then lights up a cigar with buddies in the capital city.

See...I got sucked in. I just HAD to give an opinion. I guess it's more of a coping plan, put into words. Trying to free myself from the word war with the simple little kindergarten question..."Who Says?". No more wasting emotion and time on opinions with no credible authority. There are great recipes, beautiful pictures and wardrobes to be sorted through on Pinterest. I suppose my kitchen floor could be mopped too.

Comments