Sick of Being Sick

Tis the season for coughing. While I am VERY thankful that there has been no vomiting in our home this winter, I am much more aware of how awful coughing can be. I mean, uncontrolled, red faced, help-me-I-can't-breath kind of coughing. Whatever strain of virus found it necessary to invade our home this year, it is not welcome here again. It's two victims are still trying to be rid of him. I think 6 weeks is plenty long to torment a person. Even with antibiotics, it overstays it's welcome by a long shot. It's one persistent bug.

Meanwhile, I do my part by providing healthy soups, smiles and sympathetic back pats...reminding myself that they cannot help the death sounding hack that echos through our home. I thought it might be helpful to share some of the coping mechanisms I have used this flu season...just in case you are nodding in desperate agreement to my story.

The first is a Pinterest photo that I found...self explanatory and wonderfully helpful.



With the sugar addicts I try to keep "on the wagon", Stevia is lovely thing...I may name my next son after it. Pudding is great made with it...bannana, almond, coconut and even chocolate give variety and relief when a sick one hasn't had dessert in a month. Mixed with berries, it's even better. Although, I think I need to try it with rice or almond milk instead of goat or cow, since they are supposed to be avoided with lung issues.


4 cups milk
2 or 3 Tbsp cornstarch
pinch salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp Stevia extract
(a Tbsp of GOOD, REAL sugar if you are fussy...but it's not necessary)

Cook the above then add a dab of butter and extract of your choice, cool and serve those desperate sweet junkies. I like it with almond extract and unsweetened coconut. Plain old vanilla extract makes a great fruit custard and mashed bananas with banana extract was a bigger hit than I thought it would be...even with it's slightly browned appearance.

Walking and deep breathing. Trying to convince a sick person that they need to exercise is somewhat difficult, but once they experience the relief of better breathing, you don't have to tell them again, they just go. It has made a world of difference. Ya...that REALLY looks like me walking...one can dream.


Dr.Shaklee. I love Shaklee vitamins and tried this one for the first time this winter. It really did "defend and resist". At the early onset of flu symptoms, these guys did a great job of holding back the viral invaders. You really just can't eat enough spinach to get what you need.


So, there you go, a couple of tips from a survivor of the coughing plague. I certainly didn't have it the worst in our house, but we all have to live with it in one way or another. Spring cannot come too soon!

Comments

nabibiddi said…
Hi Holly, it's Nancy @ La joie d'apprendre! Thanks for visiting our blog :-)
Your blog header is just beautiful! I love it!
Hope you will feel better soon.
Have a great weekend!
Holly said…
Thanks Nancy! I painted the picture of the legs/shoes and my friend Emily designed the header for it. I was perusing through your photos and saw many I would love to attempt painting..like the clothes on the clothesline! You are a fantastic photographer...cherished images of your life :)