My Autumn Dance



I walked into our local fruit and vegetable stand in late August. I caught the scent of fresh dill and, for me, summer was over. 

Yes, we made several more trips to the beach while in southern Ontario since that day, but in my heart, the season had changed. I did not reject the offered, summer delicacies, but in my mind I was packing up the long evenings, populated streets and tank tops. Nothing is more welcome in my life right now than a routine, a cozy sweater and fewer activities. Hopefully, there will be fewer activities...one can dream.
Fall is, by far my favorite season. I have gone on before about the scented wood stacking, perfectly colored leaves and pumpkin pies, but the ending of one season and the beginning of another is all about hope. The rich colors and comforting textures of this season remind me of the promise of God to move us forward. The beautiful death of leaves pushing me forward in faith, believing that promise that "All things work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose". When things look dead, we can believe in life. The bars of the physical world must be overlooked. Beyond the cold steel bars is a force unimaginable, yet more real than the pile of paperwork, dirty dishes or broken family I might see with my eyes. God is reminding me of Himself lately. 

Holding on tight is hard to do. Running a difficult race can be tormenting. Longsuffering is exactly what it says it is. But when the time is right, our all wise Father does what He always intended to do. When you least expect it, He unleashes a small bit of His power and blows you away. You wearily stand in an open field, enveloped by fresh winds blowing those sacrificial leaves all around, and cry pent up tears of  fear and relief. Prayers of confession flow as you admit your days of doubt mingled with prayers of laughter and joy at what He has done. Enjoying Him in the moment. My heart and body can do nothing but dance. So thankful for this season. Fully aware of the future valleys to be endured, but knowing this step will make the next one easier to take. For today however, I will indulge in the revelation of His sovereignty.

I see, smell and feel hope all around right now. I don't need to know what He will allow to happen or how a story will end, I just need to know more about Him. The mind of Christ is the richest possession. It brings freedom, peace and hope as well as strength to endure all things. As we walk in obedience and faith, once in awhile, He makes His move. He does something to "show" us His beautiful, welcome and irresistible will.There is no other faith whose Savior is alive, all powerful and completely love. How I wish you would know Him today...for the first time...or in a renewed way.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God"
Ephesians 2:8

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9

Comments