Watching Her Watch Him



This Easter, I watched some of "The Passion of the Christ" again...as I'm sure many did. Only this time my gaze was fixed on the mother-son relationship of Jesus and Mary. Motherhood can consume a girl. Maia Morgenstern effectively made me feel just a little bit of what Mary must have endured. Her dumb shock, her compulsive following, and her instinctive nurturing that was often denied. I was watching a mother doing the hardest thing she could be asked to do and she did it well. God chose this young woman to mother His son. I think it might be good for me to watch her example and try to follow. Her humility and humanity would not want to be worshiped, nor prayed to. I have to try to blind myself from the blue clothed statues made by man and picture her as a meek and gracious sister, not on a pedestal I bow to, but as an honored role model to be learned from and appreciated.

She was, in God's opinion, highly favored, humble, inexperienced and close to God.

"And Mary said: 'My soul glorifies the Lord  and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed,  for the Mighty One has done great things for me-- holy is his name.' " Luke 1:46-49

 "God has done great things FOR me"...she saw herself as a recipient of His great love. "Humble state of His servant"...she was contrite and lowly. "Glorifies and rejoices in God my Savior."..praises God alone. "Call me blessed"...she wants us to see her as a recipient of His blessing. 

And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” Luke 1:38

She trusted her life to God and what His Word says, no matter how hard or easy that would be. Whether or not she fit in, had friends, had fun hobbies, got any "me" time, got to travel or ever found time to get her hair done.We aren't even told how she and her husband got along nor how many date nights they were able to have together. We don't need to know how old Jesus was when he started sleeping through the night, what sports she let him play nor how much TV she let him watch...you get my point. We are only told about how much she loved and trusted God.

I often want more guidance than that, but that is what matters at the end of the day and the parenting conferences. I will be in God's Word everyday and He will show me the "hows" to do this job well. As long as I am filled with His Spirit and loving Him with all my heart, as Mary did, He will guide.

Happy Mothers Day!!



Comments