The Staycation

It's been awhile. Spring probably the busiest time of the year for me...and it's over :) Thought I would show a few highlights of my "staycation". Enjoying the little things, the peace and quiet and taking time to think about good things.

Finally! I got to read a book! Almost through a second one too! Business has slowed enough to rest my mind and think about good things. My choices for this summer, so far, are:
 


The first book, by Dr.Leaf is not a mystical-mind-self-help book, but a scientific, God-centered approach to healthy thinking. I really liked it. Her whole premise is that science is just recently catching up with the Bible...that there is a physical basis for being "transformed by the renewing of our mind", "taking every thought captive" and "whatever is good and perfect...think on these things". Being a science student, loving Biology and the Bible, this was a great read...and hopefully, will help my mental and spiritual health! It also has great ramifications for education...going to implement these principles in school this year.  





Loving the challenge of sacrificial living, closer relationship with Jesus and understanding His holiness in this book. If only we realized just how much He really loves us and how we should love Him and others in turn. When you love Him wholeheartedly, you can look crazy...perplexing to the world...but it offers joy to a hurting world. 

Denial. I think the world is in denial. Constantly convincing itself that it is happy. Working tirelessly to continue the charade of success. As more and more "successful" people commit suicide and spend thousands on therapy, we keep insisting that happiness is found in self-fulfillment, comfort, money and doing good things. I have to remind myself of this lie EVERY DAY. These two books help battle the lie by saying 1) I need to think like God, not like man and 2) He needs to be my first love...not my husband, not my kids, not myself.

So, thank you Caroline and Francis, for spending some time with me this summer and ministering to my soul. Iron sharpening iron. 

The paint has brought me some joy too recently. Only one canvas so far, but it was a great fun for me:



My "work" lately is keeping up with the garden. I actually love weeding. It's quiet, productive time outside, among the soothing elements, sun, earth and breeze. 



A generous lady neighbor gave us permission to tent on her beach one night last month. I just wanted to hear the river, cook over an open fire, float and be still for 24 hours. It...was...amazing :) My daughter fished while I fried bacon, had coffee and let the others sleep in during sunrise.





Another highlight is our "new" bedroom! Updated after 20 years! I'm SO enjoying the Grant Beige, carpet-be-gone and the scent of crack fill and paint. Is there a candle scent called "renovations" yet? There should be.




None of the above happenings compares with the overwhelming joy of this day. My son and some dear daughter-types diving into the Saint John river in Baptism! As a dear church lady said last night at prayer meeting, this doesn't mean they'll get everything right, but it's a good beginning...a good decision :)





Looking forward to a few more weeks of being home during beautiful weather without a rigorous schedule. The best part is that Fall is right around the corner. Better than summer :)

Comments