Gravity

If the original sin was pride, then the original solution must be humility. Sure. Humility. Probably the most difficult solution and posture imaginable...humanly speaking. 

Only Jesus, fully God and fully human...200%...could do this rescue for us, then lead us into His likeness. 

I've been dropping things a lot lately. Vegetables I try to dice, books for school, laundry to the bedrooms, everything. One might think it was a symptom of a sickness. I think it was just a reminder of gravity. It forces me to think about how hard it is for me to get down low. My body just cries at the distance between my hands and that floor these days. It seems light-years away. After a tiny groan of "not again", I decide on squat versus golfer, then brace my core and get low. The ride up is harder than the one down. I'm thinking about wearing a tool belt for things, to avoid the dreaded lowering of myself. These pains always mean a lesson for me though. So I thought about gravity and pain.

Wouldn't it be just like our creative Teacher to use earth science and midlife to remind us of the importance of getting low, humility? The more I drop things, the more I remember to be humble...painfully humble. My soul constantly yearns to express itself. What I think, what I prefer, who I am, even what I think others should think or do. That's pretty proud, when you think about it. It's not always wrong to do, but to yearn for it? 

This election has brought my expressive tendencies out. I have refrained from posting my thoughts about it simply because it seems pointless...except to gratify my flesh like shooting myself up with a dose of Rant, Vent or Ardent. There is already too much of that out there. Too many armpits, smelling up time and space. Facebook is all about expressing yourself. I'm trying to be careful about that. Good and bad things sometimes need to be expressed, but the person of few words is usually the one that is listened to...most influential and helpful. So for today, I'll express my opinion on expressing my opinion. 

Maybe it's best to hold my tongue, or fingers, unless some outside source obviously invites me to do so. And if I do, may it be in the humblest of manners. This takes practice, because I am proud. My heart, mind, blood and flesh are proud by birth...and I am passionate. That can sting sometimes. Constant lowering is great exercise for this malady. The thought direction, the bracing, the strength, balance and discomfort are healing to the sick peacock. Every time I have to lower myself, I have to mutter thankfulness instead of groans of remorse...because that's a critical part of the exercise. Thankfulness sets the mind on the right course, fills the body with health and exalts the King of Humble. Identify with Him and the lowering becomes a privilege. Worthy to suffer with Him and enjoy the fellowship of the lowering. 

It doesn't matter to you who I will vote for, or what I think about guns, cannabis or tax allocation. No one is asking me. If they do, I have a responsibility to answer, and I will. In the meantime, I'll ponder all of these things in my heart, teach them to my children (because it's my job to tell them), continue scrolling past the endless posts of others' addiction to expressiveness and learn to enjoy the humility of silence. 

Gravity is good for me. It's a good force and direction. When I want to float through life, the moon reminds me of the strength I need to develop...the strength to get low.

"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10


Comments